Sunday, January 6, 2013

To the Summit: Mount Timpanogos July 2012

Mount Timpanogos, sometimes informally referred to as Timp, is the second highest mountain in Utah's Wasatch Range.  Timpanogos rises to an elevation of 11,749 feet (3,582 m) above sea level.v Timpanogos is the 47th-most prominent mountain in the continental United States.  

The mountain towers over Utah Valley. The word Timpanogos comes from the Timpanogots tribe who lived in the surrounding valleys from AD 1400. The name translates as "rock" (tumpi-), and "water mouth" or "canyon" (panogos).

Mount Timpanogos is one of Utah's most popular hiking/climbing destinations and is climbed year round.  Although it is a 14-mile round-trip hike, (with 1/2 mile added both ways if you include the summit) with almost a mile of elevation gain, Timp's summit is one of the most-visited in the Rocky Moutains.  There are two main trails to the top: the first starts at Aspen Grove with a trailhead elevation of 6,910 feet, and the second starts at the Timpooneke campground in American Fork Canyon at 7,370 feet (This is the one we did).  Hikers on the trails climb through montane forest, subalpine, and alpine zones.  The hike is marked by waterfalls and conifers, rocky slopes and ridges, mountain goats and a small lake, Emerald Lake at 10,380 feet.  (Edited from wikipedia site)

When we moved to Utah in 2011 Joseph talked and talked about how we needed to hike Mount Timpanogos.  He had hiked it a number a times, but he wanted to invite the rest of his family to join him.  He organized a hike in mid-July.  We looked forward to it for a few months and many family members trained and started a regular exercise regimen.  Some of the people backed out because they were afraid it was going to be too hot and then some backed out because they were afraid of being too cold.  Those of us who chose to complete the task suffered a great deal because of the weather conditions, but our reward of accomplishment was that much greater because of everything we had to go through.  It's one thing to do something adventurous, but there's something about having to fight against all odds and the elements that make an experience that much more memorable.  This experience was nothing short of that.  It was amazing and something I will always cherish. 

We started out the hike keeping pace as a group, but gradually we broke up and there came distance between us.  Alot of my time on the way up and the way down was pretty solitary, but it was an amazing experience to think about the blessings that my Heavenly Father has given to me.  It was also something that was physically very hard and it felt really good to push myself while enjoying some of beauties of nature. 












The hike was a very long one.  I think we were on the mountain for about 11 hours.  Normally it probably wouldn't have taken that long, but the inclement weathered us down just a bit.  The wildflowers along the path were breathtaking.  It made me think of the small and simple things in life that can bring joy to us each day.  The hike was hard and there were many times that I would see someone coming down the mountain and I would ask them what time they started the hike and then calculate in my head how much longer I was going to be on the mountain.  When you are doing something hard and you realize you will still be doing that activity for the next 7 hours, you have to strengthen your will and move onward. 




























When we were nearing the saddle, it started to rain soooooo hard!  I was freezing!  I remember eating some of the food that I had prepared and I could barely move my jaw to chew I was so cold.  My hands were frozen.  Luckily because I have a husband who is obsessed with outdoor gear, I was very well-prepared for the extremes that we might experience with the weather.  I followed his advice and didn't wear any cotton and boy was I glad.  As much as it annoys me sometimes, that he is so obsessed with that kind of thing, I was very glad on this occasion.  There were many who were ahead of us who told us not to summit, that the wind was too strong and the temps were too low, but I was not about to hike to the saddle and not go the extra hour to get to the summit.  Joseph and Josh decided that they would come as well.  So the three of us took off on our own while the others took a breather at the saddle and then headed back down the mountain. 







I left for the summit on my own before Joseph and Josh.  The main reason was because I was just so cold that I had to keep moving.  I had no idea where I was going, because unlike the trail up the mountain, when you are going to the summit, there is no clear path.  There are lots of jagged rocks to find your way up and it is VERY steep.  I ended up feeling like I was on a wrong path, so I turned around and that's when Joseph caught up and helped me find the right path to be on.  I can't even describe how cold I was.  It was a little scary to be on such uneven ground and to have the wind be blowing so hard.  I almost lost my hat quite a few times.  








I was so happy when we reached the booth at the summit.  We were able to huddle and get a little shelter from the cold.  I did not want to move from that spot.  We stayed there for a little while and then when Josh came, we spent some time with him on the summit taking pictures and then decided to head back down. 



We had a break in the clouds just in time to see the view of Utah County.  It was truly a gift.  We felt like that little break in the clouds was our reward for our effort and hard work.  The way down the mountain was also long.  And COLD!  And WET!  My feet ached, I was tired, but there was nothing more to do than to keep moving forward.  It was a great relief when we finally reached the trailhead, we took of our shoes and just SAT.  It felt so good! 















































Maybe we'll make it a yearly activity.  We'll see. 

No comments: